Piracy – Karaoke – Conviviality
Saturday, December 1
10pm until late
DEATH TO THE SHMOO EDITION
“There’s sympathy for the consumer, and the record industry is the Shmoo.”
– 68-year-old CEO of Universal Music Doug Morris
Why would they put it on the internet and invent mp3 players if it was against the law?”
– 9-year-old LimeWire user “Hannah”
At Swap Meet, we believe the children are our future — a future where rampaging child-warriors slaughter the evil Shmoo of corporate media conglomerates. Will drinking the unholy juices of the slain Shmoo keep you young forever? We can’t make any promises about the medical benefits of Shmoo-blood (wink-wink). But can we promise that Swap Meet is the best place in town to trade Bulgarian glitch pop tracks while thrilling to the sounds of bleep-bloop bluegrass karaoke? That is a promise we can keep. For the children.
A Holiday Miracle! The entire karaoke list now online!
If you need suggestions for swappin’ music, this month’s Swap Pack themes are:
Bulgarian Glitch Pop
About Swap Meet
Swap Meet is a monthly gathering where you can come with your favorite music files and trade them with other physical human people. Then, holler along with the dulcet tones of handcrafted MIDI karaoke. It’s like the Internet, but with people and beer.
Here’s the (updated and complete) house karaoke list, so you can prepare yourself. If something you’d like to sing is not on the list, you are welcome — nay, encouraged! — to bring your own hand-crafted .KAR files. They’re MIDI-tastic!
What to Bring
- bring: drinks, or a kindly donation (optional)
- bring: your singin’ voice and dancin’ shoes (optional)
- bring: some storage media and/or a Swap Pack (optional)
- bring: a defiant sense of joy in the face of our eroding cultural freedoms (required)
Swap Pack? What’s a Swap Pack?
- 1. Take note of the one or two themes chosen for a given month’s Swap Packs
- 2. Pick out 128 Mb of music (roughly 25-40 MP3s) which interprets, tangents, or ignores one of said themes
- 3. Put the music into a folder
- 4. Put the folder onto portable media (flash drives are handy)
- 5. Take your portable media to Swap Meet
- 6. Swap
- 7. And then we sing!
- (For more details, see the Swap Pack FAQ.)
Some questions you might have and some answers we might have
Do I need to have an iPod to come?
No. Many people come with hard drives, flash drives, or other alternate file storage devices/media.
Must I swap files at all?
No. You don’t have to swap to sing.
Wait — must I sing?
No. You don’t have to sing to swap. Indeed, you don’t have to sing or swap and you can still be powerfully entertained by the singing and the whatnot. (But beware the power of MIDI karaoke. Maybe you didn’t intend to sing Phil Collins…)
Swap Meet is presented by Superbunker and The Royal Academy of Nuts + Bolts.
For more information and helpful links, please see the Superbunker Swap Meet project page.
According to recent legal decisions, inducing anyone to use physical space for the purpose of sharing music may render the space-time continuum illegal. Use the space-time continuum at your own risk.
Make Swap Meet your friend.