Night of the Living Dead
Thursday, July 9
Doors at 8pm; movie starts at 8:30pm
“If there is a phenomenon that fully deserves to be called the ‘fundamental fantasy of contemporary mass culture,’ it is this fantasy of the return of the living dead: the fantasy of a person who does not want to stay dead but returns again and again to pose a threat to the living. The unattained archetype of a long series — from the psychotic killer in Halloween to Jason in Friday the Thirteenth — is still George Romero’s The Night of the Living Dead, where the ‘undead’ are not portrayed as embodiments of pure evil, of a simple drive to kill or revenge, but as sufferers, pursuing their victims with an awkward persistence, colored by a kind of infinite sadness…” — Slavoj Žižek
What is the deal with this movie night thing anyway?
– The first Thursday of each month will be Bollywood Night, on which we will show, yes, Bollywood films.
– The second Thursday is Zombie Night, on which we will preview the upcoming zombie apocalypse.
– The third Thursday of each month is Keanu Night, showcasing the best work of one of our best actors, Mr. Keanu Reeves.
– Every fourth Thursday will be Miscellaneous Night, on which we’ll show random Betalevel-appropriate films (i.e. the paranoid, the prophetic, the perplexing, and/or other adjectives that may or may not begin with the letter P).
– And, finally, every time a month has a fifth Thursday, that will be Local Night, on which we’ll show films by local filmmakers. Or maybe just people we know or like, regardless of whether they are local or not. As always, we reserve the right to be fickle, enigmatic, and difficult.